Sunday, September 14, 2014

Simple Solutions Do Not Equal Easy Builds

Am I the only one that often tries to make solutions far more difficult than needed?  My first approach to any challenge is likely the most complicated thing I could create.  For example, I was working on something with Oracle Apex last week.  Came up with what I thought was a nifty new feature and started building.  After the equivalent of several hundred lines of code, I had something that worked...just not as well as I hoped.

After sitting back and letting things percolate...with a bit of cussing and fussing...I wound up deleting everything I'd built for that nifty new feature.  Replaced it with about two minutes of work.  The replacement was probably the equivalent of 25 or 30 lines of code.  And now the feature worked exactly as I hoped.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could complicate a ball bearing if given the opportunity to go off and running with the first ideas that pop into my head.

My point in all this...simple solutions do not equal easy builds, at least when it comes to building solutions.  It takes brain power to refine ideas and initial concepts into simple, elegant solutions.

No comments: