Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Long Goodbye

I'm in the process of saying a long goodbye to my iPad 2...and tablets in general, at least for now.  I'm losing my tablet for a couple of reasons.

First, I've pushed the limits of my iPad's usability.  I really have...for a couple of years.  But I just don't find myself using it for any kind of serious work.  My MacBook Air has really taken over for both premise-based and cloud-based work.  Even with a keyboard of the tablet, I find myself much more productive on the Air.

Second, I'm finally upgrading my iPhone 5 next month.  The most likely upgrade candidate is the iPhone 6 Plus.  Yes, the Samsung Droid offerings look really great - even better in many respects.  But I'm invested in the Apple platform and there's not enough extra benefit in other platforms to justify a transition in my mind.  So it's likely the 6 Plus...with a very large screen.  And I see the 6 Plus taking over the few functions I now perform with my iPad.  So the iPad would become just another weight to lug through the many airports I visit every year.  I'm actually looking forward to cutting back on the amount of tech gear carried when I eliminate the iPad.

In all fairness, I think I would have come to this conclusion with any tablet.  I still consider the iPad to be the best of the bunch.  I have just come to the conclusion that the tablet format just does not provide enough value for me...at least, not right now.

What's to become of the iPad?  It may become a third screen in my home office.  Or it may become a media viewer on a planned treadmill.  I mean, it's nice and all...but, at least for me, I've discovered the iPad concept to be much more of a nice to have than a got to have.  Cool but not necessary.

What about you?  Different view or experience?  Sound off in the comments.


3 comments:

DuncanDavies said...

Interesting thoughts. I think you're slightly ahead of me. At the moment my iPad (v2, the same as you) performs one function better than any other platform - consuming content.

For a quick check of emails I can use my phone. For composing longer emails and creating documents I'd rather use a laptop.

However, for browsing saved articles (via Pocket), Feed Readers or reviewing documents when I don't have a proper desk - be it on the train or when flying - the iPad is the best form factor for me.

Vrishab Kakade said...

That's exactly what I did. The iPhone 6 plus had replaced my iPad 2. I tried selling the iPad, but was offered $60. So now I use it as a third screen in the office.

David A McNish said...

Rumor has it, 6s is coming later this year, possibly September. http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6s/